This campus is situated on the site of the former Imperial Japanese Navy Accounting Academy, Shinagawa Campus, built on reclaimed land. "Suisan Denshu-jo" (Fisheries Training School), "Suisan Koshu-jo" (Imperial Fisheries Institute) and the predecessor of this university, "Tokyo University of Fisheries", which opened after its relocation from Etchujima, Tokyo to Kanagawa, Kurihama, Kanagawa, were moved to the present location in September 1954 and remained here until the present day.
- 1Unyo Maru
- 2Museum of Fishery Science / Whale Gallery
- 3Nakabe Auditorium
- 4Norwegian Whaling Harpoon
- 5Statue of Ichijiro Itani
- 6Statue of Professor Matsubara
- 7Monument of Suisan Okina (Fisheries Father)
A bark sailing ship built in 1909.
In addition to 33 cruises completed during 20 years from May 1909 to August 1929, the ship contributed to various fields, including whaling training and continuing with fishing industry research, student training, fishery technology and fishing tools development. On-board, the crew succeeded in manufacturing canned crab, pioneering large-scale crab-canning ships.
In 1962, the ship was moved to its present location in Shinagawa Campus, and on December 11, 1998, it was registered as a national tangible cultural property.
"Registration as a Tangible Cultural Property (registration: December 11, 1998, registration number: 13-0042)"
Museum of Fishery Science / Whale Gallery
Starting as the Specimen Room of the Suisan Koshu-jo and becoming the Museum of Marine Science, in September 1971, it changed its name at the completion of the current building.
The museum has contributed to the collection and administration of the specimens related to fisheries technologies, activities involving exhibition of materials, education, research and international cooperation. It stores many references related to the history of the School of Marine Science.
In the Whale Gallery, the world's largest North Pacific right whale (17.1 m long) and the whole skeletal specimen of a gray whale (12.79 m long) are exhibited. The museum opened in April 2006.
The Nakabe Auditorium was donated on November 27, 1959 by Kenkichi Nakabe, the president of Taiyo Gyogyo, at the commemoration of 70 years since the foundation of Tokyo University of Fisheries.
At that time, the university had just been moved to the site of the former Imperial Japanese Navy Accounting Academy. In an era when satisfactory facilities were not available and the school building was arranged by reforming some of the facilities used by the US Navy, this auditorium brought hope for the future to the students and professors of that time.
Norwegian Whaling Harpoon
Together with the establishment of modern whaling at the end of the 19th century, the whaling ships started to install whaling harpoons at the bow. Because in the old models used in the beginning the harpoon was designed so that loading was done from the anterior muzzle, its mobility and quick-firing performance were not so good and gradually stopped being used. The new whaling harpoons used after started to be used in 1864 as a result of long years of strenuous research by the Norwegian Svend Foyn. Because the new models were designed so that the propellant could be loaded from the breech, the operation of firing the harpoon became easier and the fishing performance improved considerably. The gun displayed has a 90-mm caliber, the harpoon is 185 cm long and its weight is about 75 kg. It was used for killing large whales, such as the finback whale and the sperm whale. The sharp harpoon on the top often sprung back at the moment of impact with the whale's body or the water surface. The object displayed, a flat-head harpoon designed by Doctor Hirata from Tokyo Imperial University, solved this problem.
Statue of Ichijiro Itani
The 3rd president of the Suisan Koshu-jo. Born in 1864 in the family of the feudal retainer of Kishu.
A student in the inaugural class of Suisan Denshu-jo, after serving as an assistant in the Japan Fisheries Association and as the housemaster of Suisan Denshu-jo, in 1894, he became a lecturer in the Manufacturing Course at Suisan Denshu-jo, lecturing in the manufacturing of canned products. In 1904, Ichijiro Itani went to the US to serve as an inspector at the Saint Louis International Exhibition, and investigated conditions in the fisheries industry in the US for 7 months. After returning to Japan, he wrote many articles and books about canned products manufacturing. He also contributed to experiments involving manufacturing of canned sockeye salmon and crab, greatly influencing the development and progress of canned products manufacturing for later generations. Between 1917 and 1924, as the 3rd president of Suisan Koshu-jo, Itani mainly concentrated his efforts in the reformation of the educational system. Thanks to these reforms, the course of study changed from three years to four years and the basic subjects increased, changes that contributed to the enhancement of the educational content. He also made efforts to reconstruct the school building completely destroyed during the Great Kanto Earthquake. After retirement, he served as the Advising Director of Kangyo Bank and was involved in solving the financial problems of the fishing industry. Also, as a member of the Agriculture and Forestry Committee, Itani recommended establishment of fisheries universities. Throughout his entire life, Itani had a great influence and left significant achievements as a facilitator and instructor in the field of fisheries and the canned products industry. Itani passed away in 1937.
The bust in Shinagawa Campus was built in 1933 in Suisan Koshu-jo in Etchujima and it was moved here in 1954, when Tokyo University of Fisheries also moved here.
Statue of Professor Matsubara
The first president of Suisan Koshu-jo. Born in 1853 in the family of the feudal retainer Matsue.
After studying at Tokyo Igakko (the predecessor of the Medical Faculty of Tokyo University), he studied biology while being the translator of the German biologist Hilgendorf. In 1879, while attending the International Fisheries Exposition in Berlin, the Fish Species Compilation created by him was displayed at the exposition as the first fish species compilation created by a Japanese that included the Latin scientific names. Also, while coming across new ideas in the fisheries field in the US, professor Matsubara met Tamotsu Murata who was already staying there. After returning to Japan, they resolved to put all their efforts into the revitalization of the Japanese fishing industry, and this led to the establishment of Suisan Denshu-jo.
From 1888, as an engineer for the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce, Matsubara carried out Japan's first national academic investigation into fisheries. Professor Matsubara gave lectures in zoology at Suisan Denshu-jo, established in 1889. From 1903 to 1911, he strived for improvement of education, facilities and equipment of Suisan Koshu-jo as its first president. Throughout his life, showing a strong determination to contribute to his country through fisheries, he worked hard and left many great accomplishments. Professor Matsubara passed away in 1916.
Although the bronze statue in Shinagawa Campus had glasses, a rare statue for that time, the glasses were lost during the ups and downs of the school building from Etchujima being seized by the occupation army, moving it to Kurihama, having it seized again and moving it again to Shinagawa.
Monument of Suisan Okina (Fisheries Father)
The second president of Suisan Denshu-jo. Born in 1842 in the family of the feudal retainer of Karatsu.
In 1868, Tamotsu Murata became a probationary professor at Shoheizaka Gakumonjo. In 1879, he went to Germany for a legal investigation and hearing about the present situation of fisheries in Germany, and keenly felt the need to develop the fishery industry in Japan. Upon meeting Shinnosuke Matsubara, who visited the Berlin International Exposition, they resolved to revitalize the Japanese fisheries industry.
After returning to Japan, Murata participated in the newly inaugurated Japan Fisheries Association and highlighted the importance of fisheries. In 1890, he became a member of the House of Lords, and in 1893, was appointed as the second president of Suisan Denshu-jo. During the four years serving as president, he accomplished the extending of the course of study from two years to three years, establishing the training department, rebuilding the school building and training fisheries professors. Also, during his service he recommended establishment of a national fisheries education institution and accomplished the opening of the Suisan Koshu-jo.
Throughout his life, while establishing the Meiji Code and performing important duties as a lawyer, he also passionately put his efforts into the revitalization of the fishery industry in Japan. As recognition of his contribution to the enactment of fisheries legislation in 1898, Tamotsu Murata received the title "Suisan Okina" from Prince Akihito Komatsu. In 1914, Murata resigned from his public position after debating the Navy scandal. He passed away in 1925.