Restructure of research and educational institutions in Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
To operate the faculties and the graduate school efficiently and enhance the functionality of our education and research, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology will restructure the Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology including new installation of "Kenkyuin" as an organization for teachers and "Kyoikuin" as an organization for education and transfer to the new educational and research organization since April 1, 2012. (For your information, the configuration of the faculties, departments, courses and advanced courses, the admission test, and the enrollment capacity are not going to be changed.)
Overview, objective and expected results of restructure of the graduate school
[Overview of restructure of the graduate school]
- Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology is to be divided into an organization for education and an organization for teachers, and most of the teachers of the School of marine science, the School of marine technology and the graduate school shall transfer to the organization for teachers of the graduate school.
- The name of the organization for teachers is Research Organization for the Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology (Kenkyuin) while the name of the organization for education is Education Organization of the Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology (Kyoikuin).
- The courses and the enrollment capacities for the Graduate School shall not be changed.
- In the Graduate School, Division of Marine Science and Division of Marine Technology shall be installed and each division shall have departments corresponding to the research fields.
[Objective of restructure of the graduate school]
To further enhance "formation of internationally outstanding marine education and research center" and "training of advanced professionals including researchers" as our missions by transferring the core of our education and research into the graduate school
1. Specification of the teachers' roles and responsibilities
Separation and restructure of education and research organizations will specify the education and research responsibilities to lead to further revitalization and efficiency in our education and research.
2. Enhanced constant and cross-cutting education without limited to the faculties, departments and the graduate school courses
Because the teachers can join the education actively beyond their disciplines, flexible arrangement of curriculum will become available to facilitate the enhanced constant and multi-discipline coursework system through the undergraduate and the graduate schools.
3. Enhanced curriculum and undergraduate education
Although the teachers' organizations are to transfer to the graduate school, the curriculum of the undergraduate and graduate schools will remain the same, and we will proceed the restructure still focusing on the undergraduate education.
As the restructure this time, the teachers belong to the graduate school can teach the undergraduates systematically considering from the undergraduate stage to the graduate stage to improve the curriculum. Also, for general or basic education, it will become possible to establish multi-discipline education system without limited to one faculty.