Standard of Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
Established on March 22, 2013
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, consisted of School of Marine Science, School of Marine Technology and Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology, is the only maritime university in Japan that implement comprehensive education and research regarding ocean. As the world has been more globalized, complicated and diversified, the more distinct skills are expected or required for university graduates. Therefore, we, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, established the standard of knowledge and skills required for all the students fostered by us as "Standard of Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology". This standard specifies abilities and knowledge the graduates from Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology should have.
[Standard of Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology]
1. The people fostered by Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
We aims to become an outstanding top-level university in the world, fostering global industrial, governmental and academic leaders from mainly fields of ocean, maritime and fishery to facilitate sustainable growth of human society by implementing basic and applied academic and scientific education and research related to ocean. To realize it, Tokyo University of Mercantile Marine and Tokyo University of Fisheries, which had had the histories for more than a century respectively, merged to be incarnated as a maritime university with 2 facilities (7 departments) and a graduate school (5 Master's Courses and 2 Doctoral Courses). Since that, we have improved our education system from various view points, including new installation of 2 courses of Master's Courses and other unique education programs responding to social needs. And since 2012, we have reconstructed our organization structure for education and research in the undergraduate and graduate schools due to focusing on the graduate school.
Recently, it has been essential to cooperate internationally as the globalization has proceeded. Under such global environment changing dynamically, it is critical Japan play an important role as a world leader, claiming "Maritime Nation" or "Technology Nation" continuously to stabilize the international society and develop sustainable world economy and industry. We stand on such global view points and foster people who can design coexistence and mutual development with oceans, respond to various expectations for oceans from industries and foreign countries, and connect them to creative productivity.
2. The knowledge and skills required for the students of Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
We should become the education and research center to "understand, protect and leverage the sea" to carry out our mission so that our country can grow as a maritime nation and contribute to the international society. From this basic view point, we implement comprehensive education and research focusing on training advanced professionals including researchers and foster people with the knowledge and skills described below.
- Skill to deepen scientific recognition for oceans, and propose and implement preferable measures to leverage the natural environment
- Skill to act with logical thinking, good judgment and responsibility for the society
- Practical leadership to understand, recognize and handle various enhanced challenges in modern society
- Challenge-pursuing and problem-solving ability with well-rounded humanity, wide range of culture and profound expertise.
- Broad viewpoint and ability and knowledge of global culture basic for international exchange
A graduate from the university with those skills and knowledge mainly related to ocean, maritime and fishery fields will have social common sense and global viewpoints, and dare to tackle challenges even under difficult conditions to become a leader in the field. In other words, a graduate from the university should have the ability to lead creative solutions through various approaches (creative problem-solving ability) even when facing unexpected problems.
This "creative problem-solving ability" can be summarized in three items as described below. The graduates from the graduate school will have broader viewpoints to demonstrate the items below.
- He/she can grasp a variety of problems comprehensively by leveraging broad range of social knowledge, logical thinking ability, cultural sophistication, global viewpoint and communication ability, and by properly understanding his/her own situation or position and impact brought by his/her act.
- He/she can act actively and practically under good judgment of the situation by applying the expertise. Also he/she can multilaterally pursue and analyze a variety of problems in the field.
- He/she can act actively and solve various modern problems including unexpected one by good judgment of situation from comprehensive viewpoint.